Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Gifts of the Spirit: 1 Corinthians 12-14

In 1 Corninthians 12:13-22 and Doctrine and Covenants 84:109-10, I found it interesting at the comparison between church callings and the body.  Every part of the body is needed for the body to functions properly.  Every church calling is needed for the church to run smoothly.  Every part or every calling has a specific duty or part.  I have always wondered why people got their feelings hurt when they didn't get a leadership calling. All callings are necessary.  I love it when my children get a primary teacher or nursery leader that could be in a leadership calling but are magnifying their calling in the Primary.

Of all the Spiritual gifts that Paul spoke of I think Charity is the greatest.

In 1 Corinthians 13:1-8,13 it describes the differences between what Charity is or is not.

Charity Is:

sufferth long (vs 4)
kind (vs 4)
rejoiceth in the truth (vs 6)
thinketh no evil (vs 5)
hopeth all things (vs 7)
endureth all things

Charity is Not:

envieth (vs 4)
puffed up (vs 4)
behave unseemingly (vs 5)
easily provoked (vs 5)
rejoiceth in iniquity (vs 6)

One area of Charity that I need to work on is being kinder to others.  I don't think I am mean but I don't have a lot of tolerance for misbehavior or making incorrect choices on purpose.

In 1 Corinthians 14:26-40 it talks about speaking with the gift of tongues.  In the Life and Teachings of Jesus and His Apostles it is pretty specific that we should be careful about speaking in tongues.  I have always heard that our missionaries having the ability to learn other languages while serving their missions is a form of speaking tongues so that the local people can be taught in their native tongue.





No comments:

Post a Comment